Pasta with Broccoli, Edamame, and Walnuts!
Edamame are whole soybeans. They are high in fiber and have a nutty flavor. Look for them with the frozen vegetables in the supermarket. If you cannot find them, you can use peas or lima beans instead.
Ingredients (serves )1. 13.2oz package of chunky whole wheat pasta 2. 3 Tbs olive oil 3. 4 Garlic Cloves 4. 16oz package of mushrooms 5. 1 head or 2 large stalks of broccoli 6. 1c shelled frozen edamame 7. 1 Tsp salt 8. 1/2c fresh chopped basil 9. 1/2c chooped walnuts 10. 1/2c of part-skim ricotta cheese
Preparation1. Bring large covered pot of water to a boil, add in pasta and stir. Cook for 8-10 minutes, drain in colander.
2. While water is boiling, peel and mince the garlic. Chop the florets off the stem of the broccoli and chop into bite-size pieces. Chop the inner stalk into bite size pieces. Chop the mushroom in half.
3. Heat 1tsp of oil in a large saute pan. Add garlic and cook, stiring frequently, for a few seconds. Add the broccoli and mushrooms.
4. Add 1/2c of hot tap water to the pan. Turn the heat up to high and cook for 2 minutes. Stiring occassionally.
5. Add the edamame and salt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and green about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet or in a pie pan under the broiler for 1 minutes; broil another minute if they are not browned yet. Check ofter to avoid burning.
7. Toss the pasta with the vegetables in the pan. Add 1c cooking water and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the basil and the last 2 tbs of olive oil and stir. Divide among plates, top wach serving with chopped walnuts and a few spoonfuls of ricotte cheese. Enjoy!