Community Servings is committed to ensuring that no one with a critical illness such as HIV/AIDS, whether living in our backyard or on the other side of the world, is forgotten. As a global member agency for ANSA's international program in South Africa -- where 5.5 million people battle HIV/AIDS -- Community Servings has helped to bring resources and technical assistance to the staff and clients of Ikamva Labantu (Future of Our Nation).
"Mamas" -- Women who care for their grandchildren and other AIDS orphans
Ikamva Labantu is a community-based organization in Cape Town. Each year, Ikamva helps more than 50,000 people affected by HIV/AIDS through the programs they support, including senior centers, child care centers, home-care workers, foster care for AIDS orphans and community gardens. With 20 years of experience in HIV nutrition and feeding people ill with HIV/AIDS, cancer and other critical illnesses, Community Servings, in collaboration with other Global Member Agencies and the staff of Ikamva Labantu, is working to develop and strengthen food and nutrition programs for the thousands of residents living in the townships of Cape Town.
Program initiatives included:
- Providing after school snacks for Hoops for Hope participants, who often arrive too hungry to participate in life skills activities and basketball games.
- Establishing a community-based nutrition education program to address issues of malnutrition, diabetes, heart disease and HIV/AIDS. In order to reach as many people as possible, we are training community-based trainers.
- The development of community gardens. Vegetables grown will be distributed to child care and senior programs. Vegetables will also be added to food parcels distributed to families in need.
- Nutritional analysis and distribution of food parcels to ensure that families with small children and individuals ill with HIV/AIDS receive the nutrients and foods necessary for health and adherence to anti-retroviral therapies.
- Capacity building as a non-profit business.
- AIDS Project Los Angeles
- Ikamva Labantu
- Lifelong AIDS Alliance
- Open Arms of Minnesota
- Project Open Hand
Like all rewarding partnerships, we find that we are learning as much as we are teaching!
For more information, please contact Rosario Dominguez, Vice President of Programs, at 617 522-7777 x220 or firstname.lastname@example.org